Unionlearn in the North West has been working closely with Higher Education since 2004.
Among our key achievements are:
- Developing and piloting mentoring training with Aimhigher and the University of Salford
- Working with Bury and Bolton Learning Partnerships to support ULRs in raising awareness of and aspiration to HE
- Liaising with training providers in Merseyside to increase participation in Level 3 vocational study as a route into higher education
- Introducing the Union Learning Club concept alongside the Open University, University of Bolton and Manchester Metropolitan University , which led directly to further activity through the national Trade Unions Aimhigher project
- Negotiating a union discount on short courses for the public with the University of Manchester
- Running HE-themed Learning At Work days across the region
More recently we have had a very successful project with the University of Bolton which has seen well over 200 learners facing redundancy accessing everything from one day workshops to fully accredited study at levels 4-7 – and work is ongoing in this area.
Additionally we are working with Manchester Metropolitan University to promote leadership and management training as a key intervention for older workers.
We also work closely with affiliate unions who have their own partnerships with higher education, for example the ATL and Edge Hill University.
For further information about the project please UoB Leaflet or contact:
Unionlearn Janet Valentine – Email: email@example.com Mobile: 07825684526
University of Bolton Phil Lawton – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 01204 903430