The Accessing HE in the Workplace project is the first HE-specific project by SERTUC unionlearn, aimed to raise awareness of HE amongst ULRs and union members.
The project aimed to bring together trade unions and their respective employers with HE providers, to encourage development of relevant work based HE. Subsequently, the project will work with the Union Learning Reps (ULRs) and higher education institutions (HEIs) to set up workplace union learning clubs to support employees that are engaging with higher learning.
For more information on regional higher learning activities, please contact Jon Tennison email@example.com.
Online higher level learning courses
Anglia Ruskin University is a leading provider of work based learning in higher education. A large proportion of students are in work, either full time or part time. The university’s programmes are especially designed to meet the needs of the learner in the workplace. There is a very high element of applied or operational knowledge in their courses which means that students can not just earn whilst they learn, but also add value to their work and to their employer as they study for an award with the university.
Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)
Memorandums of Understanding (MOU) have been devised in recognition of the particular roles of championing and supporting work based progression to higher education and ensuring working adults can access high quality information, advice and guidance about learning opportunities.
- MOU with Birkbeck, University of London (Word doc)
- MOU with Linking London (Word doc)
- MOU with University of Greenwich (Word doc)
Offers and discounts
Birkbeck 10% discount
There has never been a better time to study with Birkbeck, London’s part-time evening university.
Visit the website to find out how to apply for your 10% discount on fees*. If you are studying for your first undergraduate degree this could be a saving of up to £900 per year.
*this is based on the assumption you will be studying a qualification that is at a higher level to your existing qualifications.
Visit Birkbeck’s alumni and union discounts page or call 0845 601 0174 for more information.
University of Greenwich 10% discount
“This initiative offers a real opportunity to union members to develop their skills and knowledge with first class partners who care about individuals”
Read the information leaflet from the University of Greenwich (PDF).
Free monthly workshops
Studying at university is exciting, but can seem daunting. We have a series of free events to guide you along your journey to higher education. There are workshops to help you prepare, get motivated, reflect on your current career and future ambitions, help with understanding the fees and funding and to provide practical writing exercises to help you write a more effective personal statement.
Find out more about Birkbeck, meet lecturers and find out more about the courses on offer. You can also speak to special advisors about finance, loans, study skills development and disability support.
Visit Birkbeck Open Evenings for details of the next evening and to book a place.
Case studies about higher learning
- Raising Awareness of Higher Learning: Finance Sector, Unite
- Introduction to Higher Learning: Kent Fire and Rescue Service, FBU
- Negotiating time off for Higher Learning: Charles Ashford, HMRC, PCS
- Open University: Gaynor Purdom, NHS, Unison
- Online Higher Learning: Education Sector, ATL
- Tailor-Made Higher Learning: Hillingdon Hospital Trust, Unison
- From Skills for Life to Higher Learning: HM Prison Service, POA
- Foundation degrees: Peter Amphlett, RCM, Unite
- Distance Higher Learning: Paul Harris, BT, CWU
- Bite-size Higher Learning: London Fire and Rescue Service, FBU
- Trade Unions’ Higher Learning: Southampton City College, Unite